LM1 Person-First Language



  • How did you do on the person-first self-assessment? What was your level of expertise? Is there room for improvement? 
I received a 67 on the person-first self-assessment, which says that I am an expert. I do not think I am an expert, I just feel that I scored high due to my brother having a disability. Growing up understanding what my brother goes through daily, has helped me be more respectful and understanding to others who have disabilities. There are still areas that I need to work on, such as the terms I use to define a certain disability.


  •  Do you prefer person-first or identity-first language? Do you think one is better than the other?
I don't think one is better than the other. I do get where Emily Ladau is coming from in her article. However, I think it is easy for herself to say disabled person, due to her having a disability. Others who do not have a disability, may not feel comfortable with wording things that way. Also, just because Emily is okay with IFL doesn't mean every person with a disability feels the same way as her. As Emily said in her article, it is best to ask. I would say until you are comfortable enough to ask which type of language a person with a disability prefers, I would stick with the person-first language.
  • Did the articles change your thinking about how to address persons with disabilities? 
The articles did change my thinking about how to address persons with disabilities. It got my attention to think about how exactly I should address people with disabilities. I didn't realize that there were two type of languages to describe people with disabilities. Overall, I learned how I should be respecting those with disabilities and treating them as a person first.



  • How does this information impact you as a future elementary general education teacher? 
This information helped me understand how I should address children with disabilities as a future teacher and in general. As a teacher, I will be respectful and understanding, and make sure others are also respectful. This information showed me that I need to focus on the abilities of each child, and not just the disability. There is more to children than their disabilities, which I knew first hand through my brother, but even more so now.

Comments

  1. Hey Callie,
    You and your brother are so cute! I bet you are such a good sister.

    I totally agree with you that, as persons without disabilities, we need to be very careful with our wording. That is also why PFL is also my preferred method of speaking.

    If you do not mind me asking, what your brother's thoughts about this subject? Does he ever get his feelings hurt by others not use PFL or IFL?

    Do you have any thoughts about if you will discuss PFL with your students? I think I would like to have a small character building lesson about the importance of kindness and how we address others.

    What are your thoughts?

    ~ Ginnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Callie,

    When I took the assessment as well and scored "expert", I felt no where near an expert. I know I still have room for improvement. I also have some family members with disabilities, and we were always raised and taught to be respectful and mention things in a certain way.

    I also got the same vibe from reading the articles. I completely understand Emily's standpoint on IFL, but not everyone who is comfortable with their disability like to be called disabled.

    You make some very good points.

    Martina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Callie,

    First of all great post! I loved all of the images that you incorporated!

    I also received an "expert" score on the assessment, but I know that I am not truly an expert in this matter, or any. There is always something to learn or improve. I completely agree on your stance of using PFL or IFL, and believed you worded that wonderfully. It is never safe to assume that what one person approves of, all approve of. The respectful thing to do is always use PFL until that person gives you permission to do otherwise.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment